Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Mountain Top Experience

I’ll be the first to admit that I was a little whiney when I heard we’d be getting up at 5:00 this morning to go out for a drive through the game park and have a sunrise service (actually, it turned out to be a little post sunrise but you won’t hear me complaining about that.) I only really whined to John but let’s just say that my attitude was less than stellar. Have I mentioned that I’m not a morning person? Of course, my sleep time got even shorter when I awoke at 4:30 a.m. and decided to check my clock for the time. My alarm clock requires that you tap the top of it for the light to come on and when I tried to tap it I sent it flying to the floor, back cover coming off, batteries rolling under the bed, you get the picture. By the time I got the clock reset and got back in bed there was no hope of anymore sleep. So, I decided to spend that time praying. One of the things I prayed for was “God moments” in my day. You know, times when I’d know that God was using me, or speaking to me, or I would just be able to appreciate His gifts to me.

At 6:00 we were dressed and ready to go and our Land Rover arrived to pick us up. We drove slowly over the rough terrain and enjoyed the view as the sun was coming up over the hillside. We saw a few zebras and giraffes along the way. Giraffes are still my favorite. They are just so sleek. But, the highlight of our morning was getting almost to the top of the mountain and being surprised to see a beautifully prepared meal sitting out and waiting for us. It was just coffee, juice and muffins, but I tell you what, it was the most elegantly presented coffee and muffins I’ve ever seen. To be able to stand there looking out over the valley, eating muffins and drinking juice was such an amazing gift. Words cannot describe it.

After awhile, we all gathered for church. I don’t think I’ve had church on a mountainside since I was in high school. To sit out in the open, overlooking God’s amazing creation and singing His praises brought me to tears. Pastor Dave Beroth, from First Assembly of God church in Des Moines, shared an awesome message and talked about how he’s not really made for mission trips because of his control issues. Hmm…a message just for me! And yet, God uses us in spite of our control issues and it’s a beautiful thing.

John’s cousin, Jerry, and his wife, Karen, are missionaries here in South Africa working with Blessman Medical Ministries. They told us that this was the first time that they’ve experienced this morning blessing, also. It was so fun to experience it the first time together.

Here it was, only 8:00 a.m. and I’d already had at least two or three God moments. That, in itself, is a miracle for a girl who is rarely up before 8:00 a.m.!

No comments: