Thursday, March 27, 2008

Google Alerts

Well, I learned something new today. This morning when I checked my email there was a comment from Dan Hall waiting for my approval to be posted on my blog. If you recall, I wrote about him yesterday and my adventures with pictures at the state capitol building. It isn't so odd that he posted a comment but I was unaware that he knew of my blog so I was a bit surprised. As it turns out, he has a Google alert linked to his name.

I had never heard of Google alerts but apparently, if you want to keep track of what people are saying about you either in the news or on the Internet, you can sign up for Google alert and when your name comes up, you'll get an email with a link to the site where your name is listed.

You can get an alert about anyone really. So, if you want to hear about it every time someone writes about President Bush, Brittany Spears, or even Dan Hall, all you have to do is create a Google alert. It's almost scary really.

So, I expect to hear from Dan again as he'll get an alert about this blog. But, he'll be happy to hear that I was able to rescue the pictures taken at the capitol yesterday. And, the amazing thing is, I did it myself (with a bit of phone coaching from my son, Adam.) Oh, and I signed up for Google alerts. If people are talking about me, I need to know about it. Or not.

1 comment:

Matthew Nowlin said...

Thank you for this. I've made myself several google alerts, and am testing: "Matthew Nowlin." :)