Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Africa here we come!

Tomorrow afternoon John and I board the plane for the long flight to South Africa. People keep asking me if I’m excited about our trip. I guess you could say a part of me is excited but a huge part of me is scared to death. You see, I’m not a roughing it type of girl. I like my little creature comforts. I often tell people that my idea of roughing it is the inside cabin of a cruise ship, or a hotel without room service. It’s not that we’re going to really be “roughing it.” I mean, we will have beds and rooms with toilets and running water, and while I’m sure they’ll be sufficient, I’m just not convinced that they are nice, and I’m fairly certain there isn’t any room service. So, you may be wondering why I’m going. Here’s why. I know it’s what God wants me to do.

Last year when we were in Africa one of the missionaries there told us, “If God calls you do something, do it. If you are scared, do it scared.” Actually, once we returned from Africa last year, I asked God to send us back. I forgot to mention to Him that I wanted to go back to the same place, with the same people, doing the same thing. Silly me! Apparently, God decided that challenges are good for me and not knowing what to expect would require me to trust Him more. You can’t argue with God’s logic. He knows what He’s doing.

On Sunday in church we sang the song “The Stand” by Hillsongs United and as I was singing it came to me, “this is why I’m going to Africa.” After all Christ has done for me, how could I not do this for Him. Here are the lyrics:

You stood before creation
Forever within Your hand
You spoke all life into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
And carried the cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
And what could I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to You

So I’ll walk upon salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
This life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

So I’ll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I’ll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

As I’m able I’ll be updating this blog with our adventures and hopefully some pictures. Please pray for us, but mostly pray for the people in Africa who need to find the hope that only Jesus can offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the trip goes well! It sure snuck up fast!