Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Advice From My Younger Self

“If you, as your younger self, could offer one piece of advice to the person you are now, knowing what you now know, what would that advice be?” This is the question I heard today, posed by Lisa Barry, an announcer on the local Christian radio station. My immediate answer was “BACK AWAY FROM THE COOKIES,” but then I realized she was probably thinking about something a little deeper than that, so I tried to concentrate (on the question, not on the cookies.)

Then, I wondered what it would have been that would have convinced me NOT to eat so many cookies, and breads, and pretty much anything but vegetables. Maybe, I thought, it would be knowing how very much God loves me and that He thinks I’m amazing. Well, that is a possibility that might have solved the cookie issue, but I’m not sure it would be the ONE thing that my younger self would tell me. So, I kept thinking. (Who knew that this one question would tie up my mind for so long?)

I then decided that the one piece of advice from my younger self would have to be a long, run on sentence so that I could get the whole concept communicated properly. I decided that I’d have to tell my “older self” to just settle. Settle in and wait for God to lead you to the next path for your life. Know that THIS time has a purpose. Don’t try to figure out what is next, just WAIT. Know that whatever God asks of you, He will equip you to do. Don’t worry if you think you are too young, too old, too tall, too short, too thin, too fat, or not pretty enough. Just seek God, listen to what He tells you to do, and do it.

It sounds easy, but really, it’s what I struggle with on a regular basis. I’m pretty much a type A personality; actually more like an A- (a true type A would never have a desk as messy as mine.) If I could, I would have my entire year planned out in advance. Though I try hard not to be, I’m really kind of a control freak (and yes, to those of you who know me, I can hear you saying “admitting it is the first step, Nancy.”) I’m better now, because I’ve been working on it, but I’ll admit, I still get freaked if I don’t at least know part of the plan. So, for now, I’m learning to settle in and wait.

And, as I wait, I can be sure that there is indeed a plan. Jeremiah 29:11 – 13 reads, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” I love that!

4 comments:

kayla koep said...

nancy,
indeed the lord is good, his love endures for ever, and his timing is just perfect:). thanks for the timely word today--- ! never underestimate the power of his word! OH MY GOSH!

-kayla

Anonymous said...

Good blog and so true! That's the same verse that we had engraved on Scott's pocket watch. I love those few verses!
Erin

Unknown said...

I love this blog post Funny Nancy!! Well, I always love them, but like Kayla, I read it in the time I needed to hear it. Thank you for your wise words ~ love you!!!

Anonymous said...

"Advice From My Younger Self" would be a great book title, Nancy. If it hasn't been written already that is.

Laura