Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions – Yea or Nay?

I’ve never been big into making New Year’s Resolutions. They always seem to me like another opportunity for failure. I mean, you hear it all the time. People make a resolution to lose weight or exercise more. They go at it strong in January, take a vacation in February, and by March the resolution is completely forgotten, only to be remembered again at their annual check-up. It’s at this point the guilt sets in as, once again, they have failed. Why put myself through that, I ask?

I’m trying to take a new look at resolutions this year. One thing I’ve noticed about myself is that I’m a bit of a visionary. I “see” things that should be done, things I’d like to do, and I dream big. The problem with dreams though is that they are just that – dreams. Until I put “feet” on my dreams they will remain in the dream stage. So, this year, I’ve decided that instead of making resolutions, I’m going to set goals. Somehow setting goals doesn’t seem so frightening.

Now, mind you, I’m not going to share my goals with you because seriously, I still have that fear of failure and I’m just not ready yet to share ALL of my failures with the entire world of blog readers. I can tell you two of them and we’ll see how it goes. One is to blog twice a week. If that doesn’t happen you’ll know I’m just incredibly busy so please allow me some grace.

My other goal is to spend more time getting to know Jesus. The best way I know to do this is through spending time with Him reading my Bible and praying. It doesn’t sound hard but boy do I struggle to get that time in every day. Many people advise having quiet time with the Lord first thing in the morning. Seriously, He does NOT want to spend time with me then. I’m sure He’d prefer I wake up first! I just have to find the right time.

So, what about you? Do you have New Year’s resolutions, I mean goals? Feel free to share them with me. Maybe it’ll spur me on, or encourage others. Even if you don’t share them, write them down. I am always amazed at the power of writing something down. It seems more real AND there is the added bonus of being able to see your goal achieved.

This morning my brother sent this quote by Maria Robinson, "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning but anyone can start today and make a new ending." What "new ending" do you hope to start in 2009? I can’t wait to see what God has in store!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No resolutions.. at least none spoken outloud! ;)

Maria said...

I'd like to waste less time. I can get so sucked in by the internet. Sometimes I even think about researching chickens and reproduction. Hmmmm....

I'm thinking the best time with God ls late at night (1:30 AM Ha!) I'm pretty sure God likes me a lot first thing in the morning, because I'm too sleepy to whine!