Saturday, January 31, 2009

Last Light and More

Imagine life, as we know it, coming to an abrupt halt. No electricity, no cars, no planes, no phones, nothing! That is the basic premise for a set of four novels by Terri Blackstock called, The Restoration Series. I can think of days when the electricity has been down, or the internet didn’t work. I about went nuts. I could hardly function!

When I first started reading the opening novel of this series, I wasn’t sure I liked it. In the first few pages, planes fell out of the sky, the electricity went off, and there wasn’t a car that would start anywhere. People on the highways had to abandon their cars and walk home. I kept thinking, “Could this really happen?” I was a tad bit frightened, to be honest. Of course, it didn’t stop me from reading the entire series.

Terri Blackstock does an amazing job of capturing the reader from the first page. The reason I kept reading was because I wanted to see how people would handle it. Admittedly, I’m a bit of a Pollyanna. I think everyone is always going to do what’s right, and get along. Of course, I do live in the real world and know this isn’t always the case, but I still expect the best of people. As you might guess, this is not the case in these books. People start to steal, kill, hoard food, and anything else they can get their hands on. Everyone is afraid, even in their own homes.

I’m sure by now you are wondering why in the world anyone would spend their time on these novels. Here’s why. They do offer hope. Eventually, the reader starts to see the characters working together to accomplish a common goal. It also made me think. What would I do under the same circumstances? I really like my creature comforts. You know, being warm, being able to see by something other than candlelight, not having to use an outhouse, or dig a well for my water. Would I really give away food knowing that I might not be able to eat the next day?

If you like mysteries, you’ll enjoy these books. Start with Book 1, Last Light, and see what you think. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

No comments: