Thursday, November 20, 2008

How Do I Pray?

My heart is heavy tonight. You see, as I write this, a dear, sweet, young woman from our church is fighting for her life. Lacey has been battling cancer for over two years now. She received the diagnosis of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma the week after I first met her. Tonight, she is battling a lung infection and quite honestly, things don’t look good. Her family has asked everyone to pray for a miracle, so I am praying. But, I’ve got to be honest. I don’t really know how to pray when things look so bleak. What I have learned though, is that when I ask God the tough questions of life, He doesn’t ignore me, but He answers me. So, tonight I asked Him, how do I pray for a miracle for Lacey when things look so bleak? And, to be honest, I’m guessing that God could tell I was a bit miffed about the situation. But, I know He is big enough to deal with my somewhat angry question.

God showed me that most importantly I have to trust Him. He loves Lacey even more than I do, and more than her own family. He reminded me that He is holding her in His arms and walking with her through this hard night. And, he encouraged me to never, ever quit asking him for a miracle, even when they seem impossible. Thus, I will pray. I found a verse in Psalm 61:2 that I’m modifying a bit to use as a prayer for Lacey. “O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer for Lacey! From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead Lacey to the towering rock of safety.”

If you are so inclined, please join me in praying for a miracle for my friend, Lacey. I am trusting for God’s very best for her!

No comments: