Friday, June 13, 2008

Buried in Books

I love books! I love to read, and once I read a review of a book that sounds interesting I simply must get that book. The pathetic part about all of this is that I never really get around to finishing all of the books I buy (and sometimes I don't even start them.) It's just so sad. I felt encouraged last weekend as I read an entire book (it was an easy read) and started another while in the car on our way to and from visiting John's parents in northern Minnesota. But, that's just the tip of the iceberg. To get through all of the books that I've bought just in the last six months I'm going to need to stay focused.

So, in an effort to stay committed to my cause I'm going to post reviews here of the books after I finish them. If you don't see any reviews, email me and remind me to get busy. Either that, or call to borrow a book. I've got plenty.

There are a couple of books that I've read in the last few months (I told you I was slow) that I'll write a little bit about in this post. Self Talk, Soul Talk by Jennifer Rothschild is an awesome book. In it Jennifer talks about how we, especially as women, say terrible things to ourselves all the time. Things like, "I could never do that, I'm so stupid, I don't think she likes me, etc., etc." (You may not use those exact words but seriously, start listening to what's going on in your head when you mess up at something.) We would never say things to a friend that we'd say to ourselves. Jennifer encourages the reader to change the "clothes in their thought closet." It's a good read and requires some time to stop and think between chapters. At least that's the reason I'm giving for taking five months to plow through the entire book.

On the lighter side, I just finished Anita Renfroe's book If You Can't Lose It, Decorate It. If you've ever heard Anita speak you know she is hysterical. She's just as funny when she writes but I was pleasantly surprised to find some serious thoughts and great ideas woven into the pages of the book. Her basic premise is that we all have things in our lives that bug us- our weight, our finances, our family, other people, and the list goes on. But, instead of focusing on the negative why not try to look at them from another angle and "decorate" the issues in our life. Even if you just get a good laugh out of it, it's worth the read.

Give me a few weeks to get through my current read, Nurture by Lisa Bevere, and I'll let you know what I think, that is if I'm not side-tracked by all the other books waiting in the wings.

No comments: