Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Fresh Start

I can’t remember a time when I’ve been so excited to welcome a new year. I have spent much of today thinking, dreaming and planning for 2012. This is not typical for me. I’m more of a “let’s see what happens” kind of a girl. But, not this year. This year, I am placing myself in the ready position (as our pastor, Rob Ketterling, calls it) for all that God has for me.

The first thing I did this morning was pull out the new Bible I bought last summer. I know it seems odd to buy a new Bible when you already own a perfectly good one, but I had two reasons for doing so. First off, my current Bible has been written in for many, many years and while that is comforting to go to when I’m looking for something specific, it also allows me to get kind of lazy when I’m reading the Word. With a new Bible, I can see things with fresh eyes.

The second reason I wanted a new Bible is that I specifically wanted a Bible with pink on it. I know; crazy right? I mean, who chooses a Bible by its color? But, that’s what I wanted; either pink and brown, or pink and black. And, it had to be the New Living Testament because that is my favorite version. Someone once told me that if you find a version of the Bible that is easy for you to read, buy it. You’ll read it more often if you can understand it. Once I found the version I like, in the color I wanted, I bought it right away and tucked it away just for today.

I also pulled out a pink pen for underlining and writing in my Bible this year. (I love pink in case you can’t tell.) I use a different color ink to write in my Bible each year and note the year on the inside cover. It’s just one of my little quirks. As a side note, I use my Creative Memories fine-tip markers in my Bible. They don’t bleed through the pages and come in a plethora of colors.

The last thing I pulled out for my devotional time was a new book (to me at least) by Sarah Young. Last year I read her devotional book, Jesus Calling. Since I loved it so much, I bought her book, Jesus Lives, for this year.

There is so much more to tell you about today; my word (see last year's blog) and verse for the year, and goals set, but it will have to wait for another post. I know that my firm foundation is in the Lord. He has great things planned for me, and for you. I am ready! I am excited! Are you?

No comments: