Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Sky is Falling!


Last night I was driving home from a meeting in downtown Minneapolis. I was paying very careful attention to my speed because the speed limit changes about three times in a 500 yard stretch AND because there was a policeman in the lane to my right. I’ve found if you’re going to speed, it’s best not to do it when there is a policeman in close proximity - word to the wise. But I digress (and that so rarely happens in my blogs.)

Anyway, all of a sudden I look up and there is a huge white ball falling out of the sky. It only lasted about 15 seconds at best and there were a few seconds when I thought it was going to hit something and start a huge fire. But, just as I got ready to yell “LOOK OUT!” to the people who were clearly NOT within range of my voice, *poof* it just disappeared. I’ve seen falling stars before but it’s been a long time, and this thing was huge. My first thought was “wow, if I were on Facebook right now I could tell people about this and find out if anyone else saw it.” (I’ve taken a short hiatus from my Facebook account, however, and I’m sticking to it.)

The second thing I thought was "I just saw a very rare sight.” It may not be rare for people who look at the sky all the time, but it was rare for me. So, imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning, turned on my computer and saw “NASA scientist confirms meteor spotted in Minn.” (Yes, they did use those very initials to abbreviate Minnesota though personally, I think MN would have looked so much nicer.) The article says “that it was a 21 inch rock with a trajectory from NE to SW with a fall zone potentially in Central or South-Central Mississippi.” Personally, I could have sworn it was heading straight for the Burger King down the street, but hey, I’m not a NASA scientist.

The article also states that it had a greenish-blue streak to it but I didn’t see that. Then again, I only had about 15 seconds and wasn’t really focused on judging its exact color scheme. One other thing in the article confirmed what I thought, “it was a pretty rare sight, those types of meteors only occur five or six times a year in the United States.”

I think God has made some pretty cool things in this world and I love it when I get to be a part of seeing some of rarities. It’s almost like He’s saying to me “Hey Nancy, watch this; it’s pretty cool.” And it was . . .

No comments: