Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Father's Heart - Book Review

This blog should have been written long ago. And the book I’m writing about, The Father’s Heart, should have been read long ago; by me, at least. You see, the author, Kristie Kerr, is one of my good friends, and one of the wisest young people I know. She has helped me through plenty of rough patches in life, and hopefully, I’ve helped her through a couple, too. So, when her book was finally published, I bought it right away. I even read the first chapter on my way home in the car. (I wasn’t driving.) But then, as life would go, it got set aside for a bit. I can’t tell you why.

A couple weeks ago I picked up Kristie’s book and determined to finish it within a few days. It isn’t a long book so, even though I am a painfully slow reader, I figured my goal was achievable. And, a funny thing happened. It has happened to me in the past, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but as I read, it became apparent that I was reading The Father’s Heart at exactly the time I needed its message the most.

Through personal stories, scripture and an honest look at God, Kristie keeps her reader laughing, crying and doing some serious thinking throughout the book. She portrays the heart of our Father God in an amazing way. When Kristie was writing her book she told me that she’d always understood how much Jesus loved her, but that if she were honest, she was really just a bit fearful of God. I think the same could be said for many of us; certainly for me. So, she decided to dig deeper in an effort to really understand God’s love for her. And, what she ended up with is a book that will assure anyone who reads it that they are loved beyond measure.

Let’s be honest. We all have times when we doubt if God really, REALLY loves us. We say we know it’s true, but in our hearts, do we really believe it? Kristie has tackled the tough questions that we ask in those times when we are feeling less than loved, or wondering why it might feel that God has abandoned us. (Oh, by the way, He hasn’t.)

I’ll not name names, but there are quite a few people on my Christmas list getting a copy of Kristie’s book. If you’d like your own copy of The Father’s Heart (and you’re fairly certain that you aren’t on my Christmas list) you may get one by contacting Kristie at kristie.kerr@rivervalley.org. It’ll be the best $10 you have ever spent. Buy extras, you’ll want to pass it on.

No comments: