Friday, August 8, 2008

Let the Games Begin

I love the Olympics. I’m not sure why. I mean, in general, I’m not a sports fan. But the Olympics seem so much bigger than sports. Tonight I’m watching the opening ceremony. It is nothing short of amazing! What I’ve loved the most is watching the children. I can’t help but be reminded of little Jack that I met in China while visiting in 2006. We were visiting a Chinese, upper class, Kindergarten classroom. Jack, who also had a Chinese name, that I can neither pronounce nor remember, was 3½ at the time. He stole my heart. as I sat by watching him color. He would color for a few minutes, then get a great big smile on his face, look at me, and speak very quickly in Chinese – he could have spoken slowly but, it wouldn’t have helped my understanding. After I affirmed whatever it was he’d just said, Jack would go back to his coloring. As we left the classroom that day I was nearly in tears. I knew I’d never see Jack again. I felt the Lord speak to me as I left and remind me that even though I’d never see Jack again in this world, I could pray for him. And I have. I fully expect to meet up with Jack in heaven someday. I can’t wait to see him.

Jack is on the right side of this picture. How could I not fall in love with this adorable little guy?

As I’m typing this the Olympic athletes are walking into the stadium. The announcer has said that, in the past, 87 of the 204 nations that participate in the Olympics have NEVER won a medal. Tonight is their moment in the sun, and they are well aware of the fact that they most likely will go home before the week is out. But, for this moment, tonight (more correctly, this morning), these Olympic athletes are all together. And, I guess that’s what I like about the Olympics. For a few short days, it seems as though the world is getting along. I know they aren’t, mind you, but it appears that they are, and I love it. I love the pageantry, I love the spirit, and I’m amazed by the hard work put forth by all of the athletes. Their dedication to their sport is nothing short of incredible. Let the games begin!

No comments: