Sunday, February 3, 2008

Unexpected Taste Sensations

Those of you who know me well, know that I'm not a big vegetable fan. In fact, some would call me a picky eater. If push comes to shove, I'll try to eat some green beans and broccoli on occasion, but in general, I avoid vegetables, especially cooked vegetables. Because I am so very blessed with friends who have been kind enough to bring me meals, I've had a few vegetable dishes come my way, which to my amazement, I've enjoyed.

I thought since I enjoyed them so much, I would get the recipes and share them with you. Seriously, if I think they are good, you can pretty much be sure that you will enjoy them.

The first recipe is for Sweet Potato Fries. I have NEVER had a sweet potato that I enjoyed so my skepticism was high. I started with just two fries on my plate and went back for more. Here is the super easy recipe:

2 sweet potatoes - sliced
Mix together:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Gently toss sweet potatoes to coat in olive oil mixture.
Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

The second recipe took me by surprise, also. It's for Bok Choy Chicken Salad. I've seen Bok Choy in the store but I've always wondered what people did with it. This salad is SO good, and good for you.

Mix together:
2 C. cooked chicken - diced
4 – 6 chopped green onions
1 C. chopped Bok Choy

Dressing:
2 T. soy sauce
1 C. oil
½ C. sugar
1 T. vinegar
2 season packets from ramen noodles (chicken flavored)

Crunchy topping – add before serving:
¼ C. sesame seeds
1 C. sliced almonds
2 pkgs. ramen noodles.
Cook all in 2 T. butter on low until browned – add sesame towards end so they don’t burn.

Mix all of the ingredients together right before serving. If you aren't going to use the whole salad at once, only mix what you can eat in one sitting.

Recently, my friend, Beth, posted some recipes on her blog. She is far more internet savvy than me and she had pictures with her recipes. I apologize for not having any pictures. I ate the evidence. Enjoy the recipes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! :)

And thanks for sharing these recipes with your readers. The hubs and I are trying to incorporate more veggies into our diets (okay, so maybe it's more like just *I* am trying to incorporate more veggies into our diets... :), so I just may have to give 'em a try.